April 23, 2007

Glorious Weather & Bad Books

We have had incredible weather these past several days. And just in time too - all that rain was getting me down - though I do love to curl up with a good book.

Speaking of books - it might just be me, but I've always felt that once I start a book, I should finish it. Finish it for whom? I dunno. Just know that I must. It has taken me many years to allow myself to discard a book that does not hold my interest. I mean, it's not like I see the author for dinner on a regular basis is it? But I always feel a little guilty - like I did not see something through. You can take the girl out of the church, but..... I try to be rational with myself - there are so many, many wonderful books out there waiting for me to read, why bother to trudge through one that does not interest me at all?

I just gave up on (notice my language?) " The Double Bind" by Chris Bohjalian. Simply could not get into it. I am certainly fascinated by the concept. What happens in the lives of people who were once wealthy/professional/had a home and love ones that leave them homeless? Who would not be interested? I was intrigued by the real-life story that sparked the novel. But the writing is poor, and the story simply does not hold my interest. So off my night stand it went.

It's not just a myth that the grass is greener on the other side. Sometimes it really is.

No comments: