October 2, 2017

Recent Reads

102. Wide Open: Creativity Notebook & Card Set: Inspiration & Techniques for Art Journaling on the Edge
When you are jetlagged and wide awake at 3 am, art books might be just the thing. I enjoyed flipping through the art cards, and really like the color palatte used. Since I'm no longer a beginner, I didn't love it as much as during my first reading, but there are still some interesting ideas in this deck.
---------------------------------------------------
First read in 2012 with a 4 stars rating.

This is not a book per se, rather a stack of cards that prompts you think about how you use your art journal. I own this set, and tend to read through them about twice a year. Have yet to use the notebook, as I prefer to make my own journals. A fun way use creative prompts.

103. Pretending is Lying
This graphic memoir is translated from the Belgian by Sophie Yanow.

If you know me you know I have issues with memoirs in general, and yet I keep picking them up, go figure.

The author recounts events of her life pertaining to her father, lover, and daughter, and what I did like about the telling is how episodic these events seem to be. That's exactly how we remember things. Memory is not like a film that plays, but is more like tuning into a channel. Sometimes we get a clear sharp image, other times simply static. While that really makes sense to the person with the memories, it's rather a disjointed experience for me the reader. I get (I think) what she was going for, but something seemed lost in translation to me. You know that experience when you are trying to describe a really vivid dream to someone, and you cannot convey how it felt? Reading this book felt like that. I'm not a fan of the art style either, pencil with some color, and there were panels I puzzled over trying to understand what was being conveyed with the strange figures and positions. There are people who love it, but there was something lost in translation for me. Rating: 2 stars.

104. Twilight (Twilight #1)
You know that ole adage not to make life changing decisions in the middle of the night? Yes, well, I'm currently still on Pacific Standard Time, so while flipping through my tablet for a book to read at 2 am last night I stumbled across this one. I have the entire series checked out of my library because I love vampire stories, lots of people loved these, and most importantly, my 14 and 15 year old nieces love the series. While mediocre, it is a fast read and I found myself at around page 60 when I decided that no, this was absolutely not the book for me. I'm not dissing all the fans of this series, it's just not my cuppa tea, and I'll be deleting the series from my device shortly.

PS. If you loved the vampire angle do yourself a favor and read Anne Rice. Rating: 1 star.

No comments: