August 4, 2016

Cinemascope: War and Peace

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.



Released in 2016.

Plot line: In a new adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s timeless novel, three young people experience life, love and loss against the epic backdrop of Russia’s wars with Napoleon.

I tried to read Tolstoy's masterpiece over 25 years ago, and bailed about 100 or so pages in. I just don't think I was ready to read the work, and I didn't understand that the characters are called by different names by the people in their lives. Since I grew up in a culture does this too, I am surprised that I did not cotton on sooner, but there you have it. I've been meaning to take a Mulligan and try reading this tome again, and then to my delight BBC creates a new adaptation of the book. It is beautifully done, every frame in the movie looks like a painting, the clothing is sumptuous, and I loved everything about it. I have not read the book itself, so am not sure if Tolstoy had such an Austenesque sensibility, or if BBC simply knows what will appeal to their viewers. Either way, I feel better equipped to attempt to another reading.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is TV worth watching.

No comments: