June 23, 2016

Cinemascope: Suffragette

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.



Released in 2015.

Plot line: In early 20th-century Britain, the growing suffragette movement forever changes the life of working wife and mother Maud Watts (Carey Mulligan). Galvanized by political activist Emmeline Pankhurst (Meryl Streep), Watts joins a diverse group of women who fight for equality and the right to vote. Faced with increasing police action, Maud and her dedicated suffragettes must play a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse, risking their jobs, homes, family and lives for a just cause.

Watching this movie made me oh so mad, so if you are looking for a light, fun movie, save this for a different night. For some reason, I assumed that this was based on the US Suffragette movement, of which I know a bit about, but this is based on what happened in London in the early 1900s. I knew almost nothing about the women in this story, and there are now things I'm going to look up.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: