June 30, 2016

Cinemascope: Flesh and Bone (Season 1)

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.



Released in 2015.

Plot line: A Starz Limited Series from Emmy® Award-Winning Writer and Executive Producer Moira Walley-Beckett (Breaking Bad), Flesh and Bone follows a young ballet dancer, Claire, who has a distinctly troubled past, as she joins a prestigious ballet company in New York. The dark, gritty, complex series unflinchingly explores the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world and New York's inherent drama. Claire is emotionally wounded, sexually damaged, and possesses self-destructive tendencies amid her vaulting ambitions. She is a transcendent ballerina, but her inner torment and aspirations drive her in compelling, unforeseeable ways, especially when confronted with the manipulations of the company's unpredictable Artistic Director, and an unwelcome visitor from her past.

I am usually not a fan of Starz productions. They are just not to my tastes, but I keep trying various episodes to see if I'll change my mind, and am I ever so glad I did. This show is dark and gritty. The beauty of ballet juxtaposed with the real lives and tragedies of the actual dancers. This one gave me lots to think about. As a bonus recommendation, if you have yet to see Black Swan, I'd highly recommend that movie too.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a TV series worth watching.

No comments: