November 12, 2015

Cinemascope: Jane The Virgin (Season 1)

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.



Released in 2014.

Plot line: 
The daughter of a teen mother, Jane Villanueva grew up determined not to repeat her mom's mistakes. At 23 her life is on track; Jane is studying to be a teacher and engaged to a handsome detective who supports her decision to remain a virgin until marriage. Then a routine clinic visit flips her life upside down. Inseminated by a specimen meant for a patient in the next room, now-pregnant Jane is in a situation made only more-insane when she learns that the sperm donor is her boss, Rafael. As her meticulously planned life gets more like the telenovelas she loves, she faces a lot of complicated decisions about where to go from here.

The words "satirical romantic comedy-drama television series" usually makes me pass on a show. What we find funny can really vary from person to person, so I watched the first couple of episodes without any expectations that I would like this show, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I do. Yes it is over the top in some ways, in a telenovela way to be exact, but it is fun, and surprisingly good. I especially love all the women in this show, and the Villanueva women in particular have won my heart.

You can see the series trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a TV series worth watching.

No comments: