May 9, 2012

Recent Reads

41. State of Wonder
This is the second book I have read by the author, and I have to admit that I had some trepidation since I so did not like Bel Canto. I was delighted to discover that I really liked this book. It is an interesting read, and some of the themes include big pharma and drug development, first contact, relationships, and fertility. The idea of women being able to biologically have babies until they are well into their 80s left me cold. While I understand that some women might want to prolong their reproductive years, I sincerely doubt (and hope) that as a whole, women (and men for that matter) want to prolong things that long! Lots to think about with this one.

42. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
I have been meaning to dive into reading this author - so many of his books are on my TBR list. Then I found out that he has a memoir that focuses on running. As a beginner runner, I am constantly looking to understand why people seem to love this sport so much. I listened to the audio book mainly on walks - though on one run too - and found it interesting.

43. Creative Ways with Books and Journals
While I really like the journal photography in this book, it was not what I was expecting. It is probably good for beginners who are interested in learning how to bind their first journal. There are some amazing books on this topic, and this one did not add much to what I had already learned.

44. Game of Thrones
GRRM has been on my TBR list for ages, and after watching the first season of Game of Thrones on HBO, decided it was time to jump into this series that everyone is raving about. And have to say that I loved it. I had to keep putting it down so I would not blow through it too fast. There is love, and honor, and deceit, and loyalty, and jousts, and war, and family, and duty, and obligation, and arranged marriages, and war horses, and kings and queens and traitors, and the Others. And oh, yes, dire wolves and dragons. A world to get lost in. You'll need to keep a map and the family trees handy - there are so many characters it can be tough to keep them all straight otherwise. Oh, and my fave characters are a dwarf, a bastard and two head-strong girls. I actually gasped when certain unexpected things happened - and I mean really unexpected. I have the next book in the series standing by, but am thinking I might want to spread the books out a bit so I don't finish them too soon. Know what I mean?

No comments: