November 22, 2011

Recent Reads

126. The Catcher in the Rye
My book club had a lively discussion about this book this past weekend. My first time ever reading the author and I loved this book. I was the only one in the book club who had not read this book when they younger, and I wonder if that affected how I felt about it. I kept putting the book down, not wanting it to end. A coming of age story, filled with teenage angst and despair. I loved the writing, and the story got a hold of me from the very start. A young man who does not want to grow up and be a "phony" adult, and loose the innocence of childhood. I smile to think that this book was once banned for racy language and themes - seems so tame compared to what kids are reading these days. Am going to add all of Salinger's works to my TBR list.

127. Sketchbook Confidential
I love books that give me a glimpse into how artists use their sketchbooks, and loved this book. A wide range of artist styles are covered with both photos and thoughts about the sketching process. Chock full of inspiration.

128. Habibi
At about 680 pages, this weighty tome of a graphic novel is as satisfying as it is hefty, and is an wonderful example of this adult genre. Loved the story, and the illustrations are fab. This might be my fave book by the author so far. You can watch a quick interview with the author here.

No comments: