October 22, 2010

Recent Reads

1. The Big Short
My book club selection this month rocked my world. It changed my mental models and helped me connect dots I had not understood before. I have always heard about how the middle class adds stability to a country and while reading this book, I finally understood what that means - the real reason why we did not have a bloody revolution after this latest financial market fiasco. The fact that much of what went on was not understood even by the principal players, does not explain to me why it was actually not illegal. Much to ponder and marinate on. Loved this book.

2. Sh*t My Father Says
This funny little book was the prefect antidote to reading the one above. When I took a break from arm waving, was able to read and laugh out loud at some of these funny pieces. I hear that William Shatner will play the Dad on a new TV show based on the book. He would be prefect.

3. Nine Dragons
Listened to this book on the road trip to A2. While I really like Harry Bosch, this series is losing steam. This was not a good book - convoluted plot and the action made Jack Bauer look like a wuss.

4. My Life So Far
I've always liked Jane Fonda. Listened to about half of this on the ride back from A2. Interesting parts, but not compelling enough to finish it.

5. Swimming Lessons
You know that nagging feeling that you've read a book before? Well, had it for this one. Chick lit with a nature twist. Found the turtle info interesting, but the story itself was a little juvie for my tastes.

No comments: