April 27, 2009

Recent Reads

1. Cutting for Stone
I enjoyed this new book by the Mallu author - his first foray into fiction. I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to have an identical twin, and this is the story of twins, set in Africa, in a not typical setting.

2. The Tale of Despereaux
I enjoy going back and reading books for children that I never got around to reading. Love the little mouse, but not a great book - maybe this is one of those that do not translate into the same magical read when one is an adult.

3. Buddha, Vol 1: Kapilavastu
While in Thailand, it struck me how little I really know about Thai architecture, history and culture. How did Buddhism get there? So, this is one of the books in my pile to read. This is a manga style comic book - a fast and fun read.

4. The Associate
If I had bought this book in hard cover, I would have mailed it back to Grisham for a refund. Such a disappointment - but then again was not really expecting much. If you have never read Grisham, check out his first 5 or 6 books - great reads. The movies are good too. Do not bother with this book.

5. The White Tiger
Loved this book. My book club selection of the month. Such a different story from India. Not the typical pap written for the western diaspora. A story of class, caste and success. Well worth a read.

6. Keeping Faith
I've read several books by the author, and she always does a good job of looking at an issue from many angles. This one deals with God (a female) talking to a secular Jewish girl of 7 and the hullabaloo this creates in various communities.

No comments: