April 11, 2009

Recent Reads

Still recovering from jet lag, so not gotten much done at all.

Think I set a record in Thailand for least number of books read in a time period - maybe there was simply too much external stimulation?

1. The Blind Assassin
First book I've read by the author - who people either seem to love or hate. I loved this book - so many layers of stories, and beautiful writing.

2. Falling Angels
Lloved this one as well. First time I've read the author - the book is a really fast read and I love the idea of getting the perspective of different people for any given event. We all see and experience things so differently - this book uses that as a way to tell the story. Lovely.

3. The Mosquito Coast
I remember the movie as being dark, and an unusual role for Harrison Ford. The book is an excellent read. The story is told from the point of view of the eldest son. The father is clearly mad - guess it is a fine line between being a genius and being completely nuts. Am going to have to watch the movie again.

4. One for the Money
The first Stephanie Plum mystery. Very light - almost a chick lit mystery.

5. Gone, Baby, Gone
This book is so much better than the movie. I like Lehane. He writes well - though his subject material tends to run on the dark side. This book had some tough themes, but is an excellent read.

Realize as I write this that I read books by 4 authors completely new to me on this trip. Also, a warning to folks traveling to Thailand - bring as many books as you think you'll need. The ones for sale there are mostly "fake" - and the used book stores tend to be heavy on the chick lit side. As are the book stores at Heathrow - what is up with that?

1 comment:

Mary H said...

I LOVE Margaret Atwood and after reading your book lists for a long time, I am convinced you will too. BA is more lightweight than some of her earlier books (which are fabulously written). But I liked it too.

I started reading her in the 70's and have followed her over the years. _Cat's Eye_, _Handmaid's Tale_, and _Alias Grace_ are some personal faves....and then there are the early books which I loved.

It has been so much fun reading your adventures in Thailand!! Can't wait to see the pictures.