March 1, 2009

Eating my way through Bangkok

Thailand has definitely made it onto my top 5 foodie destinations. (Others are: India, Korea, Malaysia and US). I cannot recall the last time in recent travels that almost every meal was a delight.

Had my first ever papaya salad today - OMG! My mouth is watering just writing about it. What an incredible combination of flavours in that one dish. Am having a ball exploring what is available at different stalls on the street and in the markets. My only food disappointment so far has been the Pad Thai - have had it twice and was not impressed. So am in search of the best Pad Thai - now that is quest my tummy can get into.

Today headed out to the big weekend market (Chatuchak) - I have never seen an market on this scale before - it is huge. And one can buy almost anything, albeit mostly "fake" goods - but the variety includes clothing, luggage, furniture, pets (as least I hope the dogs will be pets and not dinner), etc. I know most people go there for the shopping. in my opinion, they can have the shopping, I went for the food. And was not disappointed. A fave item (other than the papaya salad) was a durian popsicle. Awesome.

No comments: