December 9, 2008

Siesta Time

Last night got my first glimpse of the large pyramid in Chichen Itza - simply takes ones breath away in the moonlight. It gets a little cooler at night here and took advantage of the moon to explore. The bungalow has mosquito nets - think it,s rather more for effect than need - there have been none that I can see. And I could write an ode to the water pressure in the shower - what a treat.

This morning explored Chichen Itza - able to get in at 8am when they first open - cooler and no tourists. I am blown away - the complex is way larger than I expected and in really good shape considering it dates back from as early at 700AD. Does the idea of a plummed snake not sparkle the imagination - sure it was not fun for those sacrified - but what imagery. My only disappointment is that people can no longer climb to the top of the structures - somebody slipped and died in 2005, so no climbing. And I can see why - many of the tourists who get dropped off in large groups are wearing flip flops! Still, have seen photos of the views and carvings at the top of most of the structures and would have loved to have seen them for myself.

Back in the hotel for siesta - after all only Englishmen and mad dogs stay out in the noon-day sun. Am enjoying my Mayan martini and watching the resident peacocks strut their stuff. Life is good.

No comments: