November 10, 2008

Recent Reads

1. Book of Lies
A quick read that got rave reviews, but in the end, did not really like the book - empty calories. Set up as a thriller - but the story does not really hold together well. Maybe good for middle school readers.

2. Galileo's Daughter
If there is one book I would highly recommend from my recent reading list, this would be it. Talk about history coming alive - the story is based on letters his daughter wrote - and though you think you know the ending, there is a delicious twist. The book reads like a thriller and I simply loved it.

3. Peony in Love
My book club selection for the month, this was not as good a read as Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Interesting story line and characters. Did love the historical context, but in the end, not a book I would recommend.

4. Note to Self
As an avid journaler, I'm always interested in why/how/what others write about. I do like the glimpse into the authors life, and there are some gems, but on the whole was disappointed by the book. Then again, the author is so young, and this might have more of an impact for people in their 20s or those who have never journaled before.

No comments: