May 11, 2007

National Poetry Month

Did you know that April was National Poetry Month? Read any good poetry?

Now, I'm not really sure why, but I have never been much interested in reading poetry. Was it a bad experience in primary school? Was it a horrible teacher? Was I confused and befuddled? I honestly do not recall. I do know that I read poems when I was young - after all don't nursery rhymes count as poetry?

Either way - onward! I decided that I would read several poetry books during the month as my way to celebrate the event. I checked out several books, and did actually read one. Hey, one is better than none!

Why I Wake Early: New Poems" by Mary Oliver was the book of poems I did read. Not a thick book, but it still took me the entire month to get through. She has some lovely poems in it, and I especially liked her descriptions of what she observes and feels in nature.

I've come to realize that I really like poetry in the form of the spoken word. I've listened to local poets who have made me laugh, cry, and think. The fact that I do not love written poetry bothers me. Not really sure why. Maybe I just need to find the right ones for me.
The search continues.....

No comments: