May 29, 2007

Home Again

I spent the past several days in Croydon, UK. My cousin Reena (the youngest on my father's side) got married on Saturday, and it was lovely to catch up with relatives that I have not seen in ages. Her father (my godfather) was diagnosed with cancer late last year, so the entire weekend was rather bittersweet.

I stayed at the Travelodge - great prices with very basic services. There were no phones in the room, or anywhere in the hotel - other than the one the front desk used! It certainly made it interesting trying to sync up with others staying at the hotel - you could not just call them, you had to physically go to their rooms. Needless to say, a few wrong doors were knocked upon :-) When I asked the front desk for an iron, I had to leave a deposit - like I was going to steal the iron, and bring it back across the pond with me. It turns out however, that the 30 irons they started out with have dwindled down to about 10 - who would bother to steal them? Someone clearly.

No comments: