March 29, 2007

Made My Day

One of the students I taught last year won the local spelling bee and was interviewed by the local paper. She said that I was her "all-time favorite teacher"!!!

That has to be the nicest compliment any teacher can get.

Do you remember your favorite teacher?

Mine was called Mrs Jana. She was hard and tough and took no crap from anyone. And she pushed and prodded and cajoled me (and everyone) to really give it my all. During report card days, other teachers would simply handout the cards and release their students. Not Mrs Jana. She had us all wait (im)patiently while she cleaned up her desk, board, etc. And then after all the other students were out, and crowded around our classroom windows, she slowly started calling each of us by name - very loudly - and discussing our report card for all to hear!

I learned that important lesson from her, and when I taught last year, I did the same on report card day. Each student heard what I had to say about everyone - where they did well, and what I believed they could improve on. I also do not believe in surprises, and every week updated each students grades on my board - so everyone knew exactly where they stood and what they needed to do to improve their grades.

I believe that everyone wants to succeed, but success can mean different things to different people. And I believe that children rise to the bar you set for them. You have to set it. Show them how they can get there. Help, cajole, prod them along the way. Reward and acknowledge hard work and success.

My style certainly created waves, and "scared" kids not in my classes. But my kids and I learned from each other and were better for it.

No comments: