November 2, 2006

Dancing with the Dishes

Last night as I was doing dishes (I heard that gasp), I had the TV tuned to “Dancing with the Stars”.

Now maybe it’s just me, but I really don’t get this show. Why is it so popular?

Okay so maybe there are some thrills to watching Emmet Smith the football jock take a whirl on the dance floor.

The show I watched had a really bad singer (what is the appeal?) sing a song while several not so good dancers – not the stars – perform a routine. Then IL DIVO sang. What all this singing has to do with the show, other than pack in more commercial time, I don’t now.

I gather that there is some repressed human urge to see others get “voted off” that these shows have tapped into – and quite successfully I might add. Just look at the plethora of shows that vote someone off the island, or fire them, or …..

I don’t mean to sound judgmental at all. I really seek enlightenment. If you are a Dancing with the Stars fan, I’d love to hear what hooks you.

No comments: