February 5, 2018

Recent Reads

4. Big Wolf and Little Wolf
I'm slowly making my way through The 7 Loveliest Children’s Books of 2017 as selected by brainpickings. You can see the list here.

This is the third picture book on the list that I've read and it's a cute story about being happy with your current life, but then something happens that you are unsure of at first, and then you realize that some changes are a wonderful thing after all. The art is sketchy, cute, and colorful. This would be a lovely read aloud story for all the littles in your life. Rating: 3 stars.

5. Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower #6)
2.5 stars.
I listened to the audiobook, which is wonderfully narrated by George Guidall.

I'm on The Dark Tower ride, but this, the sixth installment, is the weakest in the series so far. There isn't much that I can say without spoilers, so all I'll say is that there are interesting sections, some of the new characters are interesting, but the way King inserted himself into this story was ridiculous and over the top. You've got to be kidding me King. Do not waste the time of your constant readers. Rating: 2 stars.

6. Going Into Town: A Love Letter to New York
Book blurb: Roz Chast's new graphic memoir is a hilarious illustrated ode/guide/ thank-you note to Manhattan.

I love reading travel and insider guides to places I visit, and this one, while neither, is a real delight. This fun and quirky love letter to Manhattan is a quick and informative read. Highly recommended to anyone who plans to visit, and a wonderful trip down memory lane for those of us who love the city. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: