November 6, 2017

Recent Reads

115. Paper Girls, Vol. 3
I think I might need one of those universal translator thingies so I can figure out what the heck is going on here. Every installment has the four girls and their future selves in different times and places, and this one is the craziest of them all so far. Are we in the future or the past? Does it matter? Time folds in on itself in dizzying ways, but the art continues to be really good, the girls continue to be brave and work on figuring out what is going on, and usual teen stuff keeps surfacing. Speaking of surfacing, monsters do that too. A fun if still confusing romp. Where the heck is this headed? Rating: 3 stars.

116. Ms. Marvel, Vol. 7: Damage Per Second
It actually hurts me to give this such a low rating. I love the premise of this graphic novel series, and I really admire the diversity of the characters and the issues discussed, but this installment felt like reading a PSA (public service announcement).

There are essentially three story lines. The first is a straight forward get out the vote pamphlet, and since it was released after the US elections I'm not sure why they bothered with it. The second story line is about the internet and gaming, and while I agree that we should all be kinder and treat each other respectfully, did we need this entire section for that PSA? And finally we zoom over to Bruno in Wakanda. Am I the only one who didn't recall what he was doing there? Anyways, hi-jinks ensue, but they seemed rather forced given the players involved.

I continue to like the art and the overall themes, but the writing felt really weak in this installment. Has it Ms. Marvel finally run out of steam? Rating: 2 stars.

117. Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002
30% in and on the DNF pile this goes.

I'm a fan of his essays, but this collection of diary entries felt tedious to read. While there is some humor, I found myself mostly annoyed with this one. The author expects us to dip in and out, and maybe I'll do that at some date if some reader I trust tells me it's worth pushing through, but in the meanwhile I'd be better off going back and reading my own old journals!

I listened to the audiobook which is well narrated by the author, but don't care enough to continue. Rating: 1 star.

No comments: