August 21, 2017

Recent Reads

87. The Master (The Gameshouse #3)
I listened to the audiobook which is wonderfully narrated by Peter Kenny.

Contrary to what all the movies and ads sell us, we know, deep down we know, that the house always wins. The game being played here is the ultimate one: a game of chess against the Gameshouse itself. Who would dare? Silver, of course. He's had cameo appearances in the first two novellas, and in this final one he takes center stage, and in this case the stage is the entire planet. Can Silver really win against the Woman in White?

Yes, I'll repeat myself with how much I loved the writing, the plot, the setting, the characters, etc. There are so many things that made me smile in recognition, and I flew through this one too. I docked a star because the point of view of the story changed, and I so loved the original format. Also, I had an inkling about the head of the Gameshouse, so was not really surprised. Still, loved that ending. It's a game after all, so why would you expect anything different?

I honestly can't put into words the wondrous experience of this trilogy. I've enjoyed every minute of my time in these worlds, and would highly recommend you give this series a try. Rating: 4 stars.

88. Ruined
The winner of the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, this play is a difficult yet important read.

I use a cell phone. Maybe you do too. There are so many ethical issues concerning how and where and by whom our gadgets and products are manufactured. Coltan, a mineral mined in the Congo and used in cell phones, is partly the cause of the ongoing war in the region. This play sheds some light on the collateral damage of devices upgraded often, and one we take for granted.

Inspired by interviews the author conducted in Africa with Congo refugees, this it both an engrossing and horrifying read. The setting is a bar/brothel at the edges of the war in Congo, and the diverse cast of characters each illustrate a different perspective on the war. If you are a sentient being you already know that rape is a weapon used by all sides, and this play gives us a glimpse into the lives of Congolese women in this particular war.

It's my opinion that plays are better seen than read, and that was certainly true in this case. For example, there were a couple of women whose name both started with S, and I often had to pause to remind myself which one was talking as I was reading. I'll be on the lookout for a production near me, and would highly recommend this one. Rating: 4 stars.

89. In the Sounds and Seas (In the Sounds and Seas #1–3)
This wordless graphic novel is supposed to be a "poetic investigations in to mythology and the quest for meaning-making," but I simply did not get it.

The story starts with three figures sitting around a fire in the woods, and as they burst into song their individual voices weave around each other to create the world. OK, that I got. The rest? Not so much. I liked the ship/sailing sections, and I enjoyed what I think is the message that art and creation is what it's all about. But honestly, I felt like I needed a cheat sheet to figure out what the point of this was. I really loved the art, the line work is wonderfully detailed, and it would be worth checking this out of your library just to look at the art. However, I for one felt like I had definitely missed a memo that would have made this story understandable. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: