March 9, 2017

Cinemascope: American Crime (Season 1)

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.

Image result for american crime

Released in 2015.

Plot line: The first season of this anthology crime drama focuses on the aftermath and investigation of the murder of a veteran, Matt Skokie, and brutal assault of his wife, Gwen. The story centers around the impact of the event on the victims' families, as well as the suspects and their loved ones. Matt's parents, Barb (Felicity Huffman) and her estranged ex-husband Russ (Timothy Hutton), struggle to cope with their son's death while relentlessly seeking to bring his killer to justice. They also clash with Gwen's parents, Tom and Eve, as they endure the legal investigation and discover dark secrets about their children along the way. The narrative also follows the lives of the various suspects and examines the racial tensions that are prevalent within the legal system.

Somehow I didn't hear about this series until the second season was already done, and I'm so glad I stumbled across it. In my opinion, this is one the best shows I've ever seen that looks at race, class, gender, relationships, and the judicial system without holding any punches. This show has a wonderful ensemble cast and really good writing that tackle these themes head on. I loved how I felt one thing going into the show, and then changed how I felt about things as the show proceeded. I need a discussion group to talk about all my feelings about this show.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a TV series worth watching.

No comments: