October 5, 2015

Recent Reads

109. Satin Island
Man Booker Prize Longlist Strike #1. I'm a huge fan of this prize, and like many fans I've started to make my way through the long list, and so far it has been a disappointing experience.

This one started out nicely - a little navel gazing, but interesting, and then it just got boring. Several reviewers have said that it is all worth it in the end, but after about 50 pages, I'm bowing out. Just do not care enough to continue.  Rating: 1 star.

Man Booker Prize Longlist Strike #3. I'm a huge fan of this prize, and like many fans I've started to make my way through the long list, and so far it has been a disappointing experience.

I had such hopes that this one would break my horrible streak with the books on this list. And it started out so well. I loved the first chapter - the women, the writing - wonderful. And then. I turned the page to chapter two, and I honestly did not even understand much of what was being said, even though it seemed to be beautifully written. Here I go again. 50 pages and I'm out.

So what do I do now? The first three books I tried were by men, and maybe I'll have better luck with the women authors. Pretty please, with my fingers crossed for luck. Rating: 1 star.

I am at a loss as to how to rate this book. Let me explain. I have no doubt that if I had read the print version of the book that I would not have finished it. I would probably have quit about a third of the way through. Maybe sooner. So I'm glad that I decided to listen to the audiobook, and I cannot begin to describe what a fun experience that has been for the past week or so. Lenny Henry narrates, and this guy is simply brilliant.

I love Neil Gaiman, but continue to find that I love his graphic novels way better than I like his novels. It's not that his novels are bad, it's just that I think I might not be the right audience for them. But I do love his quirky writing, so keep searching for the one novel of his that will blow my socks off. The search continues.

This is the story of Fat Charlie. It is a fairy tale, a mythological story, one of magical realism, and humor. It is peppered with some wonderfully idiosyncratic characters, and dialogue that made me smile and chuckle in places. This is the kind of story that the travelling story tellers of old would tell as they made their way from village to village. Classic Gaiman in other words.

Since this site reviews book and not the audio production, I'm going to go with 3 stars, but would give Lenny Henry a solid 5 stars for his narration. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: