November 13, 2014

Cinemascope: Olive Kitteridge

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.


Released in 2014.

Plot line: “Hell. We’re always alone. Born alone. Die alone,” says Olive Kitteridge, redoubtable seventh-grade math teacher in Crosby, Maine. Anyone who gets in Olive’s way had better watch out, for she crashes unapologetically through life like an emotional storm trooper. She forces her husband, Henry, the town pharmacist, into tactical retreat; and she drives her beloved son, Christopher, across the country and into therapy. But appalling though Olive can be, Strout  manages to make her deeply human and even sympathetic, as are all of the characters in this mini-series.

This HBO mini-series is based on a collection of linked short stories of the same name. I liked the book, but I loved this show. Richard Jenkins, and the rest of the cast are wonderful, but oh my gosh Frances McDormand is simply fantastic.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a TV mini-series worth watching.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Oh my, thanks for the post. I totally missed this. The trailer is amazing. I'll keep my eyes open for a play back. Thank you….