August 28, 2014

Cinemascope: Life (Season 1 & 2)

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.


Released in 2007 - 2009.

Plot line: Exonerated after serving 12 years in prison for murders he didn't commit, policeman Charlie Crews is restored to duty as a detective. As an imprisoned policeman, Crews had a very difficult time and was regularly and severely beaten by fellow prisoners. Now out of prison and the beneficiary of a large financial settlement, Crews has a different, some would say odd, outlook on life. His new partner, Det. Dani Reese, doesn't quite get him and feels she has been saddled with a loser.

Why or why it is that shows you like get canceled? This is one that I watched a couple of years ago, but love it so much that I find myself dipping into shows again this summer. The dynamics between   and  are so fun to watch. Both these actors are faves of mine and I'll watch anything they are in. And yes, I am aware that Ms. Shahi got pregnant during Season 2, but is that any reason to cancel a show? Really? If you like smart detective/crime shows check this one out.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a TV show worth watching.

5 comments:

Ben Simon said...

I just stumbled over this show on Hulu a couple of weeks ago. I watched the first episode and was absolutely hooked. Loved both seasons and felt it was some of the best TV I've seen in a long time.

It boggles my mind that you can have a standard cop show like this that totally works, and then others like Bones that I find blah, or Taxi Brooklyn that are dang near unwatchable.

I guess it boils down the characters. Crews and Reese are both strong characters who make good decisions. At the end of the day, I learned from both of them. I think that's my metric for who I like to watch and who I can pass on.

Ben Simon said...

I might as well add...

I almost felt like the cancellation worked. I could imagine Cruise giving some sort of Zen explanation about how the show needed to go on as long as required and no longer. Or something like that.

I'll take two awesome seasons over 8 seasons of blah.

Elizabeth said...

I agree Ben. I would rather have a show canceled than dragged out to the bitter end. This one could have gone longer for me though. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Ben Simon said...

So I'm watching Season 1 of Justified (it's from FX and on Amazon Prime) and I keep thinking: man, this has a 'Life' like feel to it. (Though, I can't quite put my finger on where that feeling is coming from)

You might want to check it out, so far, I'm really enjoying it.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the Justified tip Ben. Will certainly check it out.