October 30, 2012

Recent Reads

106. Graceling
It is always fun to find books with strong girl characters, and this YA book is an enjoyable read. A coming of age, and sexual awakening story. I especially liked the exploration of how to be in a relationship without losing yourself. I plan to read the other two in the trilogy. Rating: 3/5 stars.

I was looking for a thriller/page turner for a trip, but was disappointed by this one. The story has interesting ingredients - Egyptology, treasure hunt, near death experiences, etc, but the plot was plodding, and the characters one dimensional. Rating: 1.5/5 stars.

My 10 year old niece Bella is reading this for book club, so decided to read it at the same time so we could discuss it as well.

I am a Gaiman fan, so was expecting to love this book. Did not. Loved the premise - it takes a graveyard to raise a child - but I think my issue with the book is that it really is a collection of short stories, and I'm not a fan of short stories. The imagination and language is pure Gaiman, but I did not get swept away by the story. Rating: 3/5 stars.

No comments: