November 23, 2010

Recent Reads

1. Flight
My book club selection for this month has gotten rave reviews and I for one do not get it. In my opinion the book was written for a YA audience - even though that is not how the publisher marketed it. I felt like I was exposed to lots of violence for no reason at all. Unlike Diary of a Part-Time Indian, the author here does not add anything to my level of understanding. An interesting discussion at my book club revolved around the question: is violence ever justified?
Not a book I'd recommend.

2. The Island
After reading my book club selection was looking for a light book and stumbled across this chick-lit book. A little too light for my tastes - read more like a romance novel with one-dimensional characters. Found myself saying puh-lease out loud throughout the book. Sigh.

No comments: