December 16, 2009

Travel Art Kit

Here is the answer to "when you travel how and when do you journal?"

My travel art kit usually looks like the photo - this is what I'm actually taking on my trip to A2 this week.

Supplies: journal, watercolor paint pan, watercolor pencils, pencil, several waterproof pens, water brush, glue stick, ruler, scissors.

I keep my supplies portable and find that watercolors are the least messy medium while traveling. I use all types - paint pans, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons. The water brush is remarkable - it has a water reservoir and cleans us with a swipe on a paper towel. I have used this kit while tightly cramped on planes and it works like a charm. Colored pencils would work just as well, though I tend not to use them.

Prep work: If I'd like other medium on my pages - like acrylics, gesso, etc - I prep these pages ahead of time at home where I can easily clean up my mess.

When do I journal? Everywhere I get a little bit of time - in coffee shops, while watching football games, etc. I do this alone and with company - it makes no difference to me. I also collect ephemera along the way to stick in to my book.

The key part of art journaling while traveling is keeping things portable and as mess free as possible. Then make playing with your supplies a necessary part of each day.

No comments: