December 16, 2007

Amazon versus Sony

The battle of the e-readers is on! Currently the Sony reader is about 100 bucks cheaper than Amazon's Kindle (which is currently sold out and selling on ebay at twice list price!)

I've been waiting for technology to catch up, and it looks like it finally has. I for one am thrilled. But where does one get one's hands on these devices to see what they look like?

Well, at Comp USA I found the latest Sony - and boy oh boy is it awesome! The text looks like the written page! Very cool. I've been reading up on technology behind this, and it's really interesting. Have read all the reviews on the Kindle - certainly see some of the advantages over the Sony. Love that you don't have to be connected to a PC. I've been looking at upgrading my iPod but the fact that I can listen to audio on these devices is compelling. Yes, they have totally different use models, and I can see why I would love having both, but am holding out for the moment on the iPod upgrade.

Issues I still see that need to be resolved:
1. Will libraries carry the right format for these e-books?
2. DRM implications. Can I transfer the book to someone else? Can I re-read the book several years down the road?
3. The audio is currently in "shuffle" mode - this prevents listening to audio books.

Despite these current limitations, I am thrilled to finally see e-readers that I would use. Almost walked out of the store with one!

*
Have gotten several requests, so have added my wish list to the blog (under LINKS on right).

No comments: