June 11, 2007

San Diego Sojourn

The annual DAC (Design Automation Conf) was in San Diego this year, and I was out there for the week. As trade shows go, it was okay. Location was fantastic. The guide books list San Diego weather in May/June as gloomy days - but we had lovely weather the entire week. If this is what gloomy looks like, I'm going to have to go back for sunny days! Why is it that I do not live there again?

We spent the first half of the week at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. My room had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. I'm not kidding. I'm going to have to call them and ask them who makes it. The room on the 14th floor of the Harbor Tower looked out over the marina and the bridge to Coronado. The hotel is right next to Seaport Village and a couple of blocks from the convention center and good restaurants.

We moved to the Balboa Park Inn for the second phase of the trip, and stayed at the Orient Express Room - red walls, a Chinese marriage bed, strange decorations, very loud location and a weird "dead body" smell. Great location though - right next to Balboa Park - which we spent a couple of days exploring. I think we got used to the strangeness of the room - it got quieter on Friday and Saturday nights, and the smell faded after we aired out the room overnight. If you ever stay there - skip the breakfast and find yourself something good to eat.

This was our first time exploring Balboa Park. I had visited the Zoo on an earlier trip, so this time explored the museums and grounds. Quite delightful. I was in awe of all the really cool flora in the park - never seen most of it before. Loved the park. Especially great for picnics and hanging out. The Jacaranda trees have purple flowers out there. Fig trees grow to immense sizes. The carousel has an actual brass ring.

My pal Jos came down from LA for a quick visit, and we got a chance to catch up. Saw the Padres beat the Dodger at Petco Park. Had excellent fish tacos at Tin Fish. Did a lot of walking, and no reading. All in all a fun trip. Came home to find the cat well, if a little leaner. Feels like I was gone for a long time. Glad to be home.

No comments: