August 30, 2006

My "Visual" Bookshelf

I've been fascianted by visual journals and art books and have been reading some really wonderful books:

1. "A Year In Japan" by Kate T. Williamson
- A watercolor journal of a young woman's trip to Japan
- Small and delightful
- Captures a place and time
- Inspires me to be more visual in my own journals

2. "Watercolor Journeys: Create Your Own Travel Sketchbook" by Richard Schilling
- Pages from the journals of a dentist who travels around the world on aid missions
- Has "how-to" exercises: Tried one and loved what I created
- Easy to see what captures his attention
- Inspired me to create a sketchbook of my own

3. "Drawing From Life: The Journal As Art" by Jennifer New
- Observation; Reflection; Exploration; Creation
- This wonderful book opens up the discussion of why we keep journals
- The book showcases samples of people's journals - from artisits to engineers; it's fascinating to see how others see and make a record of their lives

No comments: