April 11, 2006

Biology 101

Had a fantastic day at school today. We are learning about Forces - balanced, unbalanced and Newton's First Law of Motion. It was a fun class filled with light banter, humor and laughter. The kind of day I simply love.

My students are taking Family Consumer Science this term. What exactly is that you ask? Not sure myself.

Well, was asked several interesting questions today:

1. Jose was looking at a library book that showed the internal organs of animals - love that he was reading! When he got to a picture of a bee, Ronnie says that he did not know that bees had an anus. How did he think that bees got rid of their waste, I asked. Ummm, from their wings???!!!

2. Samantha asks Ronnie, "What is an anus?". She is a bright English Language Learner. "Kinda like a butt-hole", replies Ronnie. "No way!" she squeals as she turns to me and repeats the questions. My answer? In science we do in fact call the butt-hole an anus. That is the scientific term.

No comments: