November 27, 2017

Recent Reads

124. Poppies of Iraq
This graphic memoir shares "memories of her middle class childhood touching on cultural practices, the education system, Saddam Hussein's state control, and her family's history as Orthodox Christians in the Arab world."

It should have worked, as it's not often that we get such a close up look into the lives of people only seen as a problem or collateral damage here in the Western news. It didn't work because it felt too disjointed in the telling, and while there were some really illuminating anecdotes, for the most part this read more like a book written for family records than an outsider like me. The art is cutesy, which I didn't love, and there were family photos interspersed throughout the book that were too small and dark and not labeled, so I'm not sure why they were included, other than as proof that these events described did indeed take place. An OK but not memorable read. Rating: 2 stars.

125. A Bride's Story, Vol. 5
We continue this series with a much anticipated wedding. The twins are finally getting hitched. I continue to love the historical setting, and the art is astoundingly good; the pen and ink details showcases the talents of a master craftswoman. I really loved getting an insider look at all the customs and traditions of marriage in these communities, but overall this was my least favorite of the series so far. The twins are bit too shout-y in this one, and while I empathize with their frustrations, I was glad to leave them behind as our journey along the Silk Road takes us away from what is hopefully wedded bliss for the two of them. Rating: 3 stars.

126. The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower #3)
3.5 stars.

I'm listening to this series on audio, and this one continues to be superbly narrated by Frank Muller.

This, the third book in the Dark Tower series, is fantastic and page turnery in parts, and plodding and oh so slow in others. There's not much I can say without spoilers, so all I'll say is that I quite enjoyed the way King plays with the concept of multiverses and the ripples caused by changes in any one. I also enjoyed following this strange band of travelers on their journey, and it's always fun to see how King weaves in tips of the hat to his other books and popular culture. This one, of course, ends with a whopper of a cliff hanger, and I started the next book in the series as soon as I finished it. If this was a standalone book, I'd round down, but am enjoying the series so much that I'll round up instead. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: