November 20, 2017

Recent Reads

121. How to Make Friends with a Ghost
This picture book might well be the perfect Halloween read for the littles in your life. It didn't work as well for this adult reader however. The art is cute and colorful, and there are things that made me smile, but there isn't anything that made me want to hug this book, or give it to someone else and say, here read this! And given that it's targeted at kids, that ending is rather strange no? Rating: 2 stars.

122. Shadow of the Lions
DNFed at 47%.

I listened to the audiobook which is well narrated by James Anderson Foster.

Every year when the air gets chilly and the leaves start to fall I find myself in the mood for a campus novel. This one is set at elite Blackburne, a boys boarding school, with two main timelines, one when the main character is at the school as a student, and one where he comes back a decade later as a teacher. It does have an atmospheric setting, but this is mislabeled as a thriller. Yes, there is a mystery, but there wasn't much of a plot or a compelling enough reason to keep reading. I bailed at about the halfway point, at the play by play account of a football game. There is no character development to speak of, so the characters are all rather flat, and ultimately I didn't care enough to see how this story played out. The writing itself is not bad, but if I'd read it through it might have received a 2 star rating, so why bother? Rating: 1 stars,

123. Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch
Rated M for Mature indeed.

The setting is the near future, and if you are woman who does not conform to what the men you encounter want you to be, you get shipped off to a the meanest penal planet in the galaxy. But how did this come to pass? This volume covers some of that back story.

I loved the first volume, but this one did not work as well for me. I am still totally on board for the premise, the hard look at patriarchal modes and the men and women who aid in keeping the system in place, but something was lost in this installment for me. I can't quite place a finger on it, as I continue to like the diverse characters in the story. My fave parts were the ads between story sections. Loved every one of those. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood and will continue on to see if the sparkle I found in the first volume returns. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: