June 8, 2017

Cinemascope: Dear White People (Season 1)

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.

Image result for dear white people netflix

Released in 2017.

Plot line: Based on the acclaimed film of the same name, this Netflix-original series follows a group of students of color at Winchester University, a predominantly white Ivy League college. The students are faced with a landscape of cultural bias, social injustice, misguided activism and slippery politics. Through an absurdist lens, the series uses irony, self-deprecation, brutal honesty and humor to highlight issues that still plague today's"post-racial" society.

Am really loving some of the Netflix shows this year. I was skeptical about this one. Racism is not an easy subject to talk about without offending someone, and while I'm sure there are people offended by this show I was not in that number. Thought provoking, salient, timely, and I was so reminded of certain moments in my own college years. I liked this series better than the movie.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is TV worth watching.

No comments: