February 26, 2018

Recent Reads

13. Dot Journaling: A Practical Guide: How to Start and Keep the Planner, To-Do List, and Diary That’ll Actually Help You Get Your Life Together
I am one of those people who got on the bullet journal bandwagon early, so was interested in seeing what this book had to offer. It's simply BuJo by another name. I did not learn anything new, and am actually rather disturbed that the author does not seem to credit Ryder Carroll, who created the system, at all. There are tons of people on Instagram and online with BuJo spreads if you are in search of inspiration, and if you are part of this world already, you know that spreads can be as plain or as highly decorative as you like. If you are new to BuJo lookup the basics online and save yourself the cost of this book. Rating: 2 stars.

14. The Nightingale
I just knew this was not a book for me, but as it's the One Book for my town this year I decided to try it. I love historical fiction, and this has two main women characters in Nazi occupied France, one of whom is based on a real woman, so why not give it a shot. I tried both the print and audiobook, and I simply cannot continue. I found the writing awful, the characters undeveloped, and the dialogue trite, so at page 85 I'm out. Rating: 1 star.

15. The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas
Have you ever read a book where the writing was good, but the story itself was rather dull? I submit this one as Exhibit A.

I'm headed out to Vegas next week, so was in the mood for a fast and entertaining read. How could I resist that title, especially since I love Ocean's Eleven? This is a mystery of sorts. The main character, Charlie Howard, is a part-time crime writer, and part time thief, who suddenly finds himself threatened with a one-way trip into the desert. What's a guy to do?

This started out really well, but quickly got rather pedestrian. The writing is good, and there were scenes/lines that made me smile, but the characters are not well fleshed out, the mystery (a missing magician) not compelling, and the only reason I got to the end was because (a) the audiobook is superbly narrated by Simon Vance, and (b) it's a really short book. Turns out that this is the third book in a series, but I didn't find that to be my issue with it. I won't be reading the rest of this series, though must admit that I love the titles.

Since I have family in Vegas, it's a place I visit a couple of times a year, so am always in search of books set in the area. If you've got a recommendation, please do let me know. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: