November 2, 2015

Recent Reads

123. The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)
How could I not pick up a book touted as a cross between The Passage and Ender's Game? And it starts with this quote by Stephen Hawking: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.” Talk about right in my wheel house!

I picked it up to read over Labor Day weekend, and was done in a couple of sittings. The thing to note is that this is a book targeted at a Young Adult audience, so the pacing is fast, the action kinda non-stop, and it is really light on dialogue and character development. I quite liked the premise and the slow reveal of what constitutes the 5th Wave, but there is just not enough meat on the bones for my taste - not enough of the Sci in Sci-fi, the characters are not well fleshed out, and talk about unbelievable coincidences! But, based on Goodreads reviews, I am clearly in the minority on this one.

While I did not love it, it was a quick, if mindless, read - and that can be exactly the right book at the right time. As for me, I'd be curious to see what my nieces and nephews think of it, but I'll be passing on the rest of this trilogy. Rating: 2 stars.


124. Manifest Destiny, Vol. 2: Amphibia & Insecta
Book blurb: Lewis, Clark and the surviving members of their expedition continue westward across America, only to learn there is nowhere to run on a river. Collects Manifest Destiny Issues #7-12.

This continues to be a fun graphic novel series about the alternative history of the Lewis and Clark expedition. There are more monstrous creatures, and dangers abound both on land and on water. We know that they'll make it through, but finding out how is half the fun. The art continues to be wonderful, and the writing is better than the first volume, so that makes me happy. I want to get my hands on the alternate journal that was kept during this expedition. Wonder if it can be found in Monticello ... there are some artifacts from the trip I saw there on a visit a couple of years ago. Need to make friends with a docent I guess. Rating: 3 stars.


125. Air, Volume 2: Flying Machine
Book blurb: In this second volume, Blythe's mysterious rescuer reveals the truth behind one of the most shocking disappearances in aviation history - a secret tied to the origin of hyperprax flight. As the race to find the device begins, Blythe must master her skills as a hyperpract. 

I've always wondered what happened to Amelia Earhart. Now I know. This four book graphic novel series is a fun romp into different dimensions, time frames, and even bodies; the part when our heroine ends up in the young body of the man she loves - creepy and cool at the same time. I've got the next book queued up. Rating: 3 stars.


126. Vincent
Video review: https://youtu.be/kdjYalz4CfI
Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: