September 3, 2015

Cinemascope: Belle

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.


Released in 2013.

Plot line: Belle is inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), the illegitimate mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Captain. Raised by her aristocratic great-uncle Lord Mansfield (Tom Wilkinson) and his wife (Emily Watson), Belle's lineage affords her certain privileges, yet the color of her skin prevents her from fully participating in the traditions of her social standing. Left to wonder if she will ever find love, Belle falls for an idealistic young vicar's son bent on change who, with her help, shapes Lord Mansfield's role as Lord Chief Justice to end slavery in England.


I'm a person who loves lists. I love making them, and I love checking items off them. Well, imagine my delight when I saw this - 84 Films By and About Women of Color, Courtesy of Ava DuVernay and the Good People of Twitter. I've seen some of these movies, by many I had never even heard of. Well, time to rectify that pronto.


I love historical fiction, both in books and movies, so started with Belle. Set in England, this movie explores themes that we don't often see addressed by Hollywood, and if you're a Jane Austen fan, you'll love this story with a twist.

You can see the movie trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: