December 18, 2008

Recent Reads

1. Mistress of the Vatican
Loved this non-fiction book. Olimpia decides that she wants a different life than the one her father wants for her and makes it happen in such an incredible way using her intelligence and talents. An interesting read that describes the social/political/religious norms of life in Rome and the Vatican in her day. A marvelous read.

2. Skinny Dip
One of the books I took with me to Mexico, and the first book I've read by the author. Guess it's not a bad beach read, but unless you love his style, would not recommend the book. It's simply way too trite and junior high-ish for my tastes. If I had not been on an island with not a book store in sight, I would have ditched this after the first couple of chapters. Donated it to the book exchange at one of the hotels.

3. Mexico
Now, this is more like it. Am currently about a third through this one (love other books by the author) and am loving it. Have started to slow down my reading so as not to get through it too quickly (don't you simply love books like that?)

No comments: