September 3, 2008

Back to school

It's that time of year in the US where kids go back to school. The mad flurry to get new books, pencils, clothes, etc are done and it's time to meet new teachers, learn new things and make new friends.

On my drive to work yesterday morning, saw a group of first time kindergartners, getting on the school bus for their very first time. It was an incredibly poignant moment - those little kids looking so nervous, excited and solemn, while the gaggle of parents all looked like they were about to burst into tears. Simply adorable - though I constantly marvel at the size of backpacks kids carry around these days.

September does not bring back similar memories for me - our school year started in January - a very sensible time to start - but don't get me going on that topic! Can you not recall the feelings - nervous, jittery, excited, scared? A rite of passage was what I witnessed.

No comments: