June 10, 2008

Show update

DAC is going well so far. It's lovely weather out here, and I hope to spend some time on the beach this weekend.

I was on a panel yesterday entitled "Networking, Negotiation and Nonsense" - part of the Women In Design Automation workshop. It was fun, and I got to meet some really great women from around the world. It was wonderful to be surrounded by women - so much of my career, I have been the only woman in the room.

Here are some of my lessons learned that I shared:
  1. Say YES to things that make you nervous.
  2. Have a vision - what is you want? Success means different things to different people, and it changes over time, so get clear on what you really want, and check in with yourself regularly.
  3. Ask for what you want. Once you really internalize that the worst case scenario is that someone says no, you 'll find yourself daring to ask for things important to you - and often getting it.
  4. Charge your batteries. Find things that interest you and make time to pursue them.
  5. Careers do not have to be linear - they can be elliptical or even convoluted.
  6. Never, ever burn a bridge.
  7. Be your own best advocate.
  8. Follow the 80/20 rule - let go of being a perfectionist.
What advice would you give to your younger self knowing what you now know?

No comments: