November 7, 2007

State of Movies

Anyone else notice how the better the quality of TVs get, the worse the quality of movies?

We went to see American Gangster last night. You would think that with Ridley Scott directing Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, you'd have a great movie. Not. Really disappointing. The idea is a great one (if only I had a buck for each time I said that about a movie!) - the story of a black gangster (never heard of this), and an honest cop - in the era when the gangsters were mostly of European descent and many of the cops were on the take. But what poor execution. The movie really needed an editor - there were entire sections that should have been cut.

Sigh. I do not get out to see movies in the theatres much, so I guess my expectations are too high. Last really good movies I saw out?
1. 300 - what was not to love about this movie?
2. The Departed - a great story, really well done.

On the other hand, am currently watching a DVD of The Talented Mr. Ripley while on the treadmill, and love it all over again. Great acting. Good story telling.

During the trailers (does anyone still call them this?) last night, I saw that there is a new Robert Redford, Tom Cruise, Meryl Streep movie coming. And, here I go getting excited again.

No comments: